Kitchen dining room will allow to accommodate the whole large family at one table. To organize it requires not only a large area, but also knowledge of the peculiarities of the combined premises. Often such a design is implemented for homes where people who honor family traditions and customs live. When choosing an interior solution, it is worth focusing on the general stylistics of the whole house.
Planning and zoning
Having a large area or two rooms more often it is not even necessary to think about how to properly organize everything. It is enough to combine the two rooms and draw them in a single or approximate design of the kitchen dining room. If the owner is a little limited free space, it is important to consider possible planning options and think about zoning.
To separate two spaces different in purpose (workplace, dining area), you can use a few simple techniques:
- installation of a bar counter;
- visual zoning with the use of different lining materials;
- different laying on the floor (laminate plus tile or identical porcelain tiles, laid in different formats, for example, diagonally and evenly);
- the use of materials of different shades, different textures;
- different level of the floor.
If the space is large, then separate the two zones from each other can be used with an arch.
When organizing the kitchen dining room in a private home, you need to use the first floor. Earlier it is thought through, where there will be a place for storing products. It is possible to implement two entrances to the room, for example, from the side of the front door and from the side of the living room.
As for layouts, they can be as follows:
- Linear. Implies the location of a furniture set in a compartment with hinged and floor cabinets along one wall. This design is ideal for a kitchen of 15-16 squares. Cabinets try to place evenly on the wall and on the floor. Do not forget about the installation of appliances. It is desirable to place it all along one wall. You can buy custom-made only floor furniture, and place open shelves on the wall for dishes. For rooms with an area of 19-20 square meters you can install an island without interior niches. Such a design will serve as a dining area.
- L-shaped. This layout is suitable for kitchens with a small area. Along two adjacent walls, cabinets and appliances are installed. Next to the small partition it is customary to put a refrigerator. Corner layout fits perfectly in 11-12 square meters and forms additional space to accommodate the dining table. For narrow rooms L-shaped arrangement of furniture is better not to use.
- U-shaped. Fits into a spacious room. The minimum area for such design is 25-30 square meters. On both sides of the room the working area is organized, in the center or under the window is a rectangular dining table. Both zones are separated by one of the ways of zoning: by color, a temporary partition.
It is easier to think through the design in the kitchen dining room, if two large rooms are combined.
Choice of style
The kitchen dining room looks original in several interior directions:
- Modern. One of the most successful styles that will emphasize richness and decoration. The kitchen dining room can combine several related designs: modern, high-tech, minimalism, industrial, ultra-minimalism. In the modern style of the interior of the kitchen dining room everything is properly and neatly arranged, the space is characterized by practicality and multifunctionality. It is characterized by the absence of decorative elements, intricate figure structures, patterned and wrought iron fittings. Also no textiles are used. The curtains for the windows are roller blinds in the color of the kitchen dining room interior.
- Ethno. Suitable for connoisseurs of culture and customs. It is closely connected with Provence, rustic, Italian and Scandinavian styles. It is characterized by natural materials for finishing: wood, natural stone. To decorate the windows use expensive textiles with interesting floral design. The interior colors are mostly restrained, without any contrasts.
- Historical. Reliable and perfect. Will look elegant in rooms with high ceilings. For such a kitchen and dining room are characterized by: moldings, hanging chandelier, the use of small architectural objects. Also necessarily present elements of antiquity. They can be discerned in the decor, furniture facade or fittings. Such decoration of a home dining room is expensive. All elements, including paintings, figurines, some types of furniture are made to order in a single copy.
- Loft. The main attribute of this interior is a brick wall or its imitation. Such decoration can be applied to the apron or a blank wall near the dining table of the kitchen and dining room. Additionally, it can be decorated with an antique clock. The table and chairs are chosen exclusively wooden. The chandelier is installed directly above the table. In the arrangement necessarily apply: metal, glass. There is no limit in the number of lamps. Try to organize a lot of lighting.
Some design styles can be combined in the kitchen dining room. More often the combination is applied if the kitchen is created in two adjacent rooms.
The choice of color scheme
For the kitchen of the dining room try to apply gentle not aggressive shades. They should not negatively affect the psycho-emotional state and spoil the appetite. Only sometimes a certain contrast is acceptable. But, in such an approach, it is worth competently choosing a tone so that it is combined with the main palette of the interior. The most common colors are as follows:
- beige, cream, coffee;
- white, light gray, ash, metallic;
- gold, silver, light blue, turquoise.
For accents choose something catchy: red, orange, purple. These shades should be few in number. Otherwise they would be distracting and irritating.
Pros and cons of the combined kitchen and dining room
Combining the kitchen and dining room with each other, be sure to think about the positive and negative qualities. Among the pros are:
The space visually expands, seems rich, stylish and grandiose;
zoning techniques make the room solid and practical;
It is possible to save, for example, on a soft corner, objects of decoration, and a dining table.
Combined space has one major disadvantage – the smell of food, soot and grease will accumulate on the furniture. Therefore, it does not hurt to get a powerful hood.
Designer’s tips for designing a dining room kitchen
There are some points that should not be overlooked when setting up a kitchen dining room. Designers have the following tips:
- When organizing the interior, start from your habits. Then the finished room will be pleasing to the eye, it will be a pleasure not only to eat, but also to prepare food. Be sure to consider where and what will stand. The essentials should be available.
- Always take into account the size of the room. Do not try to “cram” what will eventually create discomfort. Believe me, after a full-fledged organization of the furnishings to eliminate unnecessary things will be more difficult.
- Choose the layout of the furniture, so that it corresponds to the parameters of the kitchen dining room. Everything must fall into place. So the design of the dining room will turn out laconic and competent. Purchase parts so that then you do not want to do the rearrangement and everything was fine.
- Everyone wants to save money, but it is extremely important to entrust some details to a professional. This also applies to the kitchen project. It should be ordered from managers showrooms kitchen furniture. To do this, you need to provide information about the area, the length of the walls and the height of the ceilings. Also indicate your preferences. All the standards of height, depth and width of the headset employees know themselves.
- Use good fittings and plumbing fixtures. These elements must be strong and durable. If metal parts are used as handles for cabinets, they should not rust over time. Also strong (on bearings) should be rails, and the hinges to hang towels, oven mitts and cutlery should have a solid frame.
- Apply practicality to the best of your ability. This consists of the following mini-recommendations: install a recessed oven at hand and eye level; make room for drawers at the bottom of the set; buy a hood with a tilting mechanism, this will reduce the risk of injury during cooking; design the countertop so that it does not break the sink or stove. It’s much more comfortable to cook on a solid surface.
The design of the dining room and kitchen should be similar, and to make the room not seem monotonous, use convenient zoning features. Don’t forget to think intelligently about decorations. Even in large kitchens there should not be too many of them.